[TR] Oil Pump priming

J.C. Hassall jhassall at blacksburg.net
Thu Nov 19 18:12:42 MST 2009

On 11/18/2009 10:06 PM, Tom Boggiano wrote:
> I am at the point of my engine re-rebuild that I need to prime the oil
> pump and have a couple of questions
> What do you all use to turn the oil pump with, A drill and what in the
> shaft? A long handled screw driver?
> On the TR4 engine does it turn anti - clockwise?
Tom, I just used the distributor drive shaft.  Put #1 at TDC, pull the
dist and distributor drive gear and turn the shaft CCW using a 1/2"
drill; it'll take a minute to build up pressure.  When reinstalling the
drive gear, orient the woodruff key directly opposite the block (if the
block is "12 o'clock", the key should be at 6 o'clock) and the drive
gear should just drop right into place, pointing to the #1 exhaust
pushrod tube.  Very simple, very easy.  As a lark I created a YouTube
video.  If you want it, I'll look up the number.

jim

--
Jim Hassall
Blacksburg VA