[TR] pertronix PEI and coil type

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Nov 19 18:06:37 MST 2009

> I hope this is a simple question with a simple answer.  Does
> it matter whether the coil has a ballast when converting to
> an electronic ignition?

For the Pertronix, the only caveat is that the module red wire needs to get
full 12v, not the reduced voltage from the ballast/coil terminal.  Otherwise
it doesn't matter as long as the type of coil matches whether a ballast is
present.

There are some other electronic ignitions with more complicated requirements
(for example, the Crane XR3000 wants a ballast-type coil without a ballast),
but the Pertronix is easy.

-- Randall