[TR] Caliper Piston Removal

Rick chandler.rick at comcast.net
Wed Nov 11 14:06:41 MST 2009

Subject: Re: [TR] Caliper Piston Removal

I've used compressed air to loosen a half-dozen caliper pistons from some
very nasty motorcycle and auto calipers, without a failure. Apply lots of PT
Blaster and soak the cylinder wall for a few hours. Place a thin strip of
wood between the two pistons (one or two wooden paint stirrers work well),
nearly filling the space. Apply 90 psi of air to the hydraulic port in short
bursts; my mean time to success is a few seconds. Once the pistons are free
and the cylinders and caliper bodies are cleaned up, insert the rubber seals
and new stainless pistons, then fill the system with de-aerated DOT5 and say
goodbye to corrosion and paint damage. The slight difference in fluid
compressibility between DOT5 and other fluid grades is overwhelmed by the
expanding flexible lines; you'll never feel the difference.

Rick in Seattle

1960 TR3A

1970 BSA 441 Victor Special

1972 Nordon Commando 750 Combat