[TR] TR3A OD

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Nov 11 08:03:36 MST 2009

> I would assume this is not normal, and I have wired it
> incorrectly. Any thoughts?

Yup, that's right.

Unfortunately there are several different, valid ways of wiring it, the
original wiring on TS39781LO did not match the diagram given in the workshop
manual; so it's a bit difficult to give a wire-by-wire troubleshooting
procedure.  But basically, the operating relay coil should only get power
when the ignition is on (and the OD switches are closed); while the contacts
are hot all the time.

Note also that the OD should only operate in 2nd, 3rd & 4th gears.  If it
works in first gear, then you also have a problem with the wiring to the
'isolator' switches on the gearbox top cover (or one of the switches
itself).  This is dangerous, because it will damage the OD badly if you back
up with it engaged.

Randall