[TR] (Fwd) Re: Intro & conversation starter

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Thu Nov 5 17:41:27 MST 2009

On 4 Nov 2009 at 23:22, Russell Barr wrote:

> My wife thinks the Spitfire is prettier, but it's not for her
> and she'd look great in the passenger seat of either one. I'd
> be interested in the impressions of anybody who's familiar
> with both.

I have only minimal experience with the TR6.  But speaking of wives,
one reason I ended with a Spitfire instead of something bigger is
that mine, the wife, not the Spitfire, is only 5'2".  When she would
sit in the passenger seat of any friend's car the window line would
be at her neck level.  The Spitfire being smaller and with drop-waist
doors, the window level comes to her shoulder.  It feels airier that
way and she is much happier.  I had a TR6 for restoration briefly,
sold it when someone made an offer.  But I'd measured the interior
against the Spitfire, surprisingly found that there wasn't much
difference in most dimensions.  As I recall, the biggest difference
was floor to top of the doors and dash.  The TR6 had more headroom
but all the extra height was obtained from floor to door top.  Door
top to hood was the same.  Width too, as I recall.

I'm with Martin S about the GT6.  I drive it a lot.  It is noisy,
buzzy, moderately hot in summer, but otherwise a comfortable coupe.
The Spitfire feels more agile, and being a later model the controls
(loud pedal, clutch, steering, etc.) feel better calibrated and
smoother.  The GT6 is obviously quicker.  I suspect a good TR6 would
feel tighter, more robust than either GT6 or Spitfire, but that's
just a guess.

Finally, be aware that the best way to get lost in a crowd at a
Triumph or other LBC show is to arrive in a TR6.  Best way to be
ignored is to arrive in a Spitfire.  Arrive in a GT6 however and you
will be in rarified company.

Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com