[TR] Spit: 2 dumb discoveries, 1 to go?

Tim Gaines mtgaines at mail.presby.edu
Sat May 30 16:40:08 MDT 2009

It has taken me 21 years to find the reason that I have
never been able to put more than 7 gallons of gas in my
Spitfire's tank.  I had imagined all kinds of things that
might be in the tank taking up space, but I never thought
it might just be 3 gallons of gas.  The take up fuel pipe
was 2 inches above bottom (duh)!

Another problem that has plagued me for a couple of years
is periodic engine dying; instantaneous with no warning
when it happens.  It always seemed that fiddling with the
electronic ignition amplifier module eventually got it
running, and I spent all kinds of time trying to make sure
it stayed properly grounded.  Turns out that the (nearby)
wire through the firewall to the anti-run-on valve was
rubbed bare and sometimes grounding out.

Now for the problem where I haven't yet had the "duh, oh
sh_t" moment.  I need help.  I put in rebuilt brake
calipers a couple of years ago along with new flexible
hoses.  Car has since pulled to the right UNTIL the brakes
are applied; dragging I figured.  Measured rotor runout
with dial gauge, but it wasn't excessive.  Bled lines
again with EZ-bleed but no change.  Decided to take
calipers off the wheels but leave them attached
hydraulically for a little drive to see if the pulling
persisted.  I put blocks of wood between the pistons on
the calipers and wired the units to the frame so they
wouldn't fall out.  But one of the blocks did fall out and
I blew a piston all the way out while sitting in the
garage.  The piston was still sitting in the caliper, but
brake fluid was everywhere.  So I put it back and rebled
the lines.  At that point the brake pedal would go to the
floor with no resistance.  Did the bleeding again.  Same
problem.  There was no leaking of fluid at any of the 4
wheels.  So I got out a new master cylinder seal kit and
put in the seals.  Everything seemed fine on the bench.
 Installed the mc, filled it (did not bench bleed it) and
bled the brakes with my wife pushing the pedal.  It took
forever.  Afterward, no pedal resistance.  Rebled with the
EZ-bleed, but still no resistance.  There is no leaking.
 Adjusted REAR brakes, but no change.  The pressure
differential warning switch is working as it should I
think.  Despite blowing out a piston earlier, the brake
light comes on only at startup and goes off after that.
 That means both front and back systems should be okay,
right?  I am at a total loss now and frustrated beyond
belief.  I WANTED TO BE ON THE ROAD BY NOW!  At this
point, I'd be happy to have brakes that drag again.  Does
anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Tim
1980 Spitfire