[TR] TR6 Oil Plug washer

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue May 19 09:48:38 MDT 2009

> Is there a particular type of washer that is supposed to be
> between the oil pan and oil plug?  I have a magnetic plug but
> can't seem to get it to stop leaking.

Those are supposed to be tapered pipe threads, so no washer nor a place to
put one.  If your magnetic plug has a head that is pulling up against the
surface of the pan, you likely have the wrong plug or the threads in the pan
are a bit oversize.

I buy socket-head (turn with a hex/Allen key) magnetic plugs from MMC.  With
a bit of Teflon pipe dope, they seal easy, and come out easy.
http://tinyurl.com/q4nmwt

Of course, being way down low like it is, the oil plug tends to have a drop
of oil on it even when the leak is somewhere else.  I'd also check the area
above the plug, to be certain it's not damp with oil running down.  A trick
I've heard of but not tried is to spray the area with white foot powder (the
stuff that goes on wet but dries instantly) to see where the leak is
actually coming from.

Randall