[TR] Early TR4 windshield cap and cockpit trim

nwolf at u.washington.edu nwolf at u.washington.edu
Mon May 18 18:18:36 MDT 2009

Oh yeah, I forgot that nickel is magnetic!  If the parts are triple-plated brass, that could explain all the observations as well.

   There is such a thing as chrome-plated stainless, by the way.  Google finds about 56,000 hits for that phrase.  Maybe it's shinier than raw stainless, or a slightly different hue?  Dunno.

   But, chrome-plated brass would appear to be the simpler explanation.
   Thanks everybody for your input.
-Nick

From: "Randall" <tr3driver at ca.rr.com>

>>    This is quickly becoming the majority opinion.  Even several people who
>> initially reported no magnetism tried it again with a bigger magnet and
>> found some slight attraction.  This says "stainless steel" to me...
>
>I really have no opinion here, as I've never owned a TR4.  But couldn't it

be the nickel in the "triple chrome" that is providing the attraction?

Chroming stainless just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

-- Randall