[TR] Pinion Seal R&R TR3/4

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Mon May 18 18:05:12 MDT 2009

On Monday 18 May 2009 07:10:20 pm Geo Hahn wrote:
> Am I correct in guessing that to remove the flange and get at the pinion
> seal I need only undo the rear end of the driveshaft, propping it up and
> out of my way?  (i.e the front driveshaft flange remains bolted to the
> gearbox output)
>
> Yes, I could just try it and see but if I have to completely remove the
> driveshaft I would prefer to do the front connection first before getting
> the car up and me under.  Thanks for any advice.
>
> Geo
George,

Yes that will work but it works better if you have a lift!

Lots of work if you are on your back and for us older folks it is not easy.

Remember to drain the differential first or you will get a nice stream of smelly
hypoid oil all over your garage floor.

The large nut that holds the flange is a real bear to get loose. I had to have
the wife stand on the breaks!

Bob