[TR] Brakes vs. clutch

fishplate at charter.net fishplate at charter.net
Wed May 13 19:56:47 MDT 2009

---- Jim Muller <jimmuller at rcn.com> wrote:
> On 13 May 2009 at 14:03, Nolan wrote:
>
> > Well I'd personally rather not lose my brakes because my clutch
> > sprung a leak, but that's just me.
>
> Same here.  I've never (knock on wooden dashboard and wooden head)
> had brake failure

I have.

I was driving my 1967 VW Bus, headed down a highway off-ramp at a good clip...I hit the pedal and the main pipe in the single-circuit brake system exploded.  In the time it took for the brake pedal to bang on the floorboard, I was transformed from driver to passenger.

Brakes are too important to take short cuts with, or to say "good enough".  If you've got a problem, fix it.  If you need a new, expensive part, buy it.  I spent more money on a proctologist to get the driver's seat out of my backside that I ever would have spent on a brand-new gold-plated brake system.

Jeff Scarbrough
Never Again, Ga.