[TR] TR3 Head gasket replacement

Jim Bauder jimbpps at cox.net
Sun May 10 16:20:37 MDT 2009

It has been my experience with the TR3 engines that if they are creating white
smoke it is steam! Usually caused by a blown head gasket as you surmise! Oil
from worn valve guides or bad rings is usually darker and bluish, with a too
rich fuel mixture creating black smoke.

While to front cap is off I always replaced the timing cover gasket and front
seal, if there is a enough of a grove to feel with your fingernail on the front
of the crankshaft, install a SpeedeSleeve see:
http://www.skf.com/files/778249.pdf

While the timing cover is off be sure that the timing chain is in good shape and
the tensioner is working and not worn.

And for sure have the radiator rodded out and pressure tested for leaks. You
also might check the water pump shaft for wobble, the generator for proper
fitment and tightness of the mounting bolts.

I am sure there are some other things, but not to worry anything that was not
checked will fail as soon as it is all put back together!

Regards and good luck,

Jim
Jim Bauder
Cell: 480-309-9525