[TR] TR3 Head gasket replacement

LT llst at shaw.ca
Sun May 10 14:04:34 MDT 2009

I am going to do a head gasket replacement in the next week or so.

Read through the archives and found some info from a few persons.

Does anyone have any specific do's or dont's with the actual gasket and
head installation?

Have taken the front cowl off to repair the radiator (leak around the
neck) and was wondering if there are any other items I should tackle.
(Crankshaft timing cover front oil seal)

The car is a 1957 TR3 which had a restore/rebuild around 1985 and has
about 5000 miles on it since. Sat around for the last 5 years.

I had problems with white smoke exhaust after getting it started (wisp
of steam in the #1 cylinder when I pulled a plug). No sign of blown
gasket or antifreeze leak.

Head looks okay.

Any ideas would be appreciated as I don't want to do it a second time.

Thanking all in advance for any input.

Larry