[TR] oil pressure with synthetic oil

jimmuller at rcn.com jimmuller at rcn.com
Wed May 6 16:09:04 MDT 2009

Chip K. wrote:
> Assuming that your engine is reasonably "tight"

Well, it's always been tight before (as far as I can tell).

> and that you may have been using a non-synthetic 20W-50 previously,

My previous oil was the same, Mobil-1 15(I think)w50, but with an "Extended Life" designation.  The oil pressure light was fine when I drained it.  It's fine now too as long as it hasn't been rinning on the highway in the last 15 minutes or so.

> is it possible that you're seeing the oil light flickering
> because your oil pressure switch may be weak

If so it came with the oil change.  Do coincidences happen in real life?  They don't in murder mysteries.)

> If... then I would go back to the previous oil selection

Which is under consideration, on the agenda for further review, so to speak.

Someone spoke of Valvoline's VR oils.  What is the meaning of the designation "racing"?  Sure, more ZDDP or similar but what about other longevity factors?  Perhaps they assume a race engine won't carry a catalyst (nor does my GT6).  But could it be assumed that a racing engine's oil will be replaced much more frequently than a street engine?  Or always warmed sufficiently before reving above some speed?

Thanks,
Jim Muller