[TR] Oil Leak

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Mar 28 14:10:30 MST 2009

> 	Is it possible to replace the timing cover oil seal
> without removing the apron, radiator?

Yes, I have done it.  But my car also had no extension for the original fan;
it might be harder if the extension is still in place.  You have to be able
to get that center bolt out; and with the extension the bolt is about 8"
long.  Without the extension, my bolt is only around 2".

> 	Is it possible that using a speedy sleeve would fix the
> problem without replacing the        			seal?

It is marginally possible; but IMO if you've gone that far you might as well
pop the cover off and change the seal.  Check the timing chain tensioner
while you're in there, mine was broken.

> I have never used a speedy seal ... any words of wisdom on how
> they are installed?

It will come with an installation tool.  Clean the surface with solvent,
then compare the sleeve to the mark where the old seal rode on the hub.  If
necessary, make a mark so you know how far to drive the sleeve on.  (The one
I got was long enough that I just drove it on all the way, but ISTR I later
found that their book recommends a shorter sleeve.)

I like to smear some Loctite on the hub where the sleeve will sit; which
really isn't necessary.

Set the hub face down on the bench, slide the installation tool over the
sleeve then position both of them with the tapered side of the sleeve
against the tip of the hub.  Bang on the tool with a hammer (not hard, but
more than a tap) to drive the seal onto the hub.  It expands very slightly
as you drive (which is what locks it in place).

Then use tin snips or similar (ISTR I used a Dremel with a cutoff blade
since it was handy) to make a small cut in the flange, and use pliers to
tear the flange away.  It doesn't absolutely have to be removed if it won't
interfere with anything, but I didn't want to take the chance.

There are general instructions available from CR on the web, including at
http://tinyurl.com/clxvdy

Randall