[TR] TR3A Switch Knobs

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Mar 20 16:44:58 MST 2009

> Worked fine until I pulled the control panel out again this winter, and
> had to
> literally smash the knobs to get them off.

So, why couldn't you remove the setscrews?

Closest thing I've done is a vent pull knob, that wound up with a Allen head
setscrew that went through the original knob hole and a small piece of
aluminum, to bear on the bicycle spoke I used as the operating shaft.
Worked so well I forgot all about it, until I had to remove it a few months
back.  Once I remembered the setscrew, I just backed it out and pulled the
whole thing off the bicycle spoke.

> What would be a betterB long term solution?

What about replacement switches?
:^)

> B  I'm thinking replacement knobs
> with built in inset screws to clamp onto the shaft.B  Anybody know where
> to source these?

IMO you are unlikely to come up with anything that even faintly resembles
the originals.  The original knobs are simply too thin in that area to carry
threads.

> B  ...Or, is there a way to replace those spring thingies
> that go
> on the shaft?

I've wondered the same thing, but it doesn't look practical to me.

What you might be able to do is tap the existing hole in the switch shaft,
and ream the existing hole in the knob a bit oversize.  Then push the knob
into place and install a short Allen head set screw (maybe 6-32 by 3/16"
long) through the knob and thread into the shaft.  Maybe with a dab of blue
Loctite to keep it from backing out.  You can tighten it lightly against the
other side of the knob, but not too much or you'll crack the knob.

Randall