[TR] Gas tank pads -TR2/3

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 19 21:41:59 MST 2009

> Wouldn't a non-absorbent material be best?

My personal experience is "no".  I've had several TR3/A tanks out (including
a rather rusty Midwest car), and they had more rust where the felt/horsehair
was not, than where it was.  Two of the tanks were rotted through on the
bottom, no doubt from water in the fuel, but not where the felt was.

But a friend's TR6 tank appeared to be mounted on something similar to
Styrofoam, and was heavily rusted where water (most likely condensation) had
managed to get between the foam and tank, and then had no way out.  The area
was even still damp to the touch, although my friend knew for a fact the car
had not gotten rained on for several years at least.

Anyway, even that Indiana TR3A that I put felt into back in 1974 or so is
still holding it's fuel, so it must not be rusting very badly.  Wish I could
say the same for the rest of the car!

Randall