[TR] A Type OD Notched Drain Plug Tool

Chris Simo ccsimonsen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 05:54:23 MST 2009

Be careful! -   The first time I did mine - the Nut was stuck.

I used the big pipe wrench method and it would not budge.

I added a pipe on the handle of the pipe wrench (read this as less control
over the pipe wrench)  and tried again.

No luck.

I grabbed the frame rail with one hand and really pulled on the wrench - the
pipe wrench came off the trans plug  and my other hand slid up the frame
rail and nicely sliced 3 fingers to the bone.  Since the entire underside of
my TR4 is covered with oil and sand, that apparently kept the frame from
rusting over the years.

It took me a good hour to pick all the sand out of the cuts,  mostly due to
me getting woozy and having to sit down every couple of minutes. Apparently
I'm a wimp when it comes to cleaning my own wounds and watchig bones and
parts as I verified the operation of my finger parts.  I was tougher and
more stupid then - Today - it would be a trip to the doctor.  I had no
business doctoring up that myself.

A good solid week later, I tried it again with the pipe wrench and was
sucessful  took me and a buddy - mostly brass colored dust (which explains
no synchro on 1st or 2nd gear) and no chunks.   I also have put in one of
those magnetic drain plugs and so far not really picked up much of anything.

Good luck!