[TR] slow overdrive

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Thu Mar 12 14:17:31 MST 2009

In a message dated 3/12/2009 3:13:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
wquincy at cox.net writes:
> I hope to
> address a problem with the A type overdrive in my TR3A.
> Rebuilt last winter, with 700 miles accrued over last summer, the
> overdrive engages slowly, 6 seconds when cold 3 seconds when hot
> using gear oil or, 3 seconds and 3 seconds using valvoline racing oil
> 20/50.
> Disengages instantly. Is this indicative of anything specific.

If you are lucky it is merely and adjustment.  The solenoid may be just
barely lifting the rod.  If you read the manual it tells you to set the adjustment
using a drill bit in the hole in the lever.  Don't believe it.  It may have
worked when the units were new but it frequently leaves you with a misadjusted
solenoid.  Try adding a bit more stroke to the adjustment.  You may have to set
it by trial and error.

This is by far the easiest potential fix so try it first before tearing into
the filter screen or any other possible cause.

Dave