[TR] Leaf Spring Front Attachment Pins

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Tue Mar 10 05:53:36 MST 2009

In a message dated 3/10/2009 7:19:34 AM Central Daylight Time, WCA09 at aol.com
writes:
> Hello, all.  I'm down to the frame in my TR3A restoration (tub off).  And,
> as predicted by those well versed in the art, the front attachment pins for
> the rear leaf springs are rusted solid in the frame.  Suggestions, please, on
> how to remove them.  What's worked for you?  Heat, gear puller, hydraulics,
> drill them out (ugh!) ?
>
>  The bolts appear to be in pretty good shape, so I suppose I could just
> leave them as is.  But the remote possibility that I might need to remove them in
> the future, with the body in place, makes me want to free them up.  So,
> please, suggestions appreciated!

I would try a good penetrating oil such as Kroil or PB Blaster and time.  I
doubt heat would be effective as there is no good way to heat the main body of
the assembly which is buried within the frame.  And if the bolts are in good
shape, as you say, then I'd opt for leaving them alone in lieu of drilling.

Dave