[TR] OD Speedometer Cable Route, TR3A

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Mon Mar 2 17:47:24 MST 2009

In a message dated 3/2/2009 4:36:25 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
terryrs at comcast.net writes:

The  speedo and tach cables have pressed square cross-section ends that  are
>nominally 0.125" on each side. The Moss replacements are all  oversized by
>more than 0.010", and do not fit completely into the  transmission
>recepticle; the corresponding receptacle in the speedo  seems to be oversized
>as well and poses less of a problem. The solution  is to CAREFULLY grind the
>square ends down to their specified dimension  of 1/8" on a side. The
>properly sized end will then enter smoothly and  completely into the
>transmission. Forcing the unground ends into the  transmission and then
>screwing on the endcap will compress the cable  interior and will result in
>fluctuating speedo (or tach) readings, and  eventually failure of the speedo.

Margaret at Mo-Ma did mention that I  needed to grind the end of the cable
off,
so it wasn't too long.B   Didn't mention aboutB this, though.B B I can give it
a  try.

Thanks, Rick.

There is apparentally only one mfgr of all the speedo cables we get  here in
the US. Margaret has seen failures of  her rebuilt speedos because  the inner
portion was too long. The new cables were being made too long.  They should be
 3/8 (Check this-I think its 3/8 -but its in my shop  manual).

She campaigned with all the suppliers to get the cables made correctly  until
she finally cornered the manufacturer. She told him about all the  speedos
and tachs which were getting broken because the inner portion was too  long. He
laughed and told her she shouldn't complain, it was good for her  business.
I used a grinding wheel to shorten mine, then a fine file to dress the  edge.

Mike Moore