[TR] Triumphest/VTR info

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Mon Mar 2 13:18:11 MST 2009

In a message dated 3/2/2009 7:36:40 AM Central Standard Time,
v6spitfireguy at cox.net writes:

> We thought we would try this venue since it would be the first time we
> would be able to attend.  We have what we think is a fairly decent car for
> this year, that should do fair (at least we think), but would we be dinged
> for the 165/70 tires (instead of 155s) on chrome spoke (vs. painted) rims,
> Chrome plated air cleaner, Lecarra steering wheel, alloy valve cover, or
> overdrive on a car that originally didnt have one?   Some of these items
> could be changed relatively easily but others (like the overdrive or
> wheels) would be expensive and require a lot of work  Something I'm not
> really willing to do for only one judging event - So how heavy handed  are
> the rules?? Would this be considered a modified??

We are pretty easy in most respects.  for example, if your car is painted a
correct color for your model car, no problem.  The fact that your car was
originally another color matters not.  The same is true for tire sizes, too.  If
the factory, or the dealer offered upsized tires you are allowed upsized tires
even if your particular car was not so equipped.  Period accessories and after
market parts such as your Lecarra steering wheel are not a problem as long as
it is indeed a period accessory.

Chrome plated engine parts may be considered over-restoration but there are
no deducts for over-restoration.  Consider a hypothetical situation with two
cars parked side by side.  One has a valve cover painted just like the factory
and the other has a powdercoat of Argent silver and a clear coat.  Both cars
will receive no deduct points.

The new modified classes are divided into two basic categories: Touring is
for cars that have been modified in a manner that does not effect how the car
feels to drive.  These are such changes as alternators, electric fans, electric
fuel pumps, things that make the car more reliable and suitable for driving
(which VTR encourages).  Performance is for cars that have been modified to
improve the driving experience but are still street legal (note, there has always
been and will always be a class for race cars).  This class allows for
headers, different wheels and tires and a number of other changes.

Full details are at the website as Blake pointed out and the guidelines are
pretty detailed as to what is and is not allowed so I won't belabor the issue
much more.  But Darrell and the concours committee will determine which class a
car will fall into based on these guidelines but owners who have referred to
these guidelines will know where they will fall in most cases.

But in your case I don't see anything that will bump you into the modified
classes.  Your changes are rather typical in regular concours.

If you have any other questions after reading the guidelines let us know.

Dave