[TR] Triumphest/VTR info

Blake J. Discher bdischer.lists at blakedischer.com
Mon Mar 2 10:18:37 MST 2009

On Mar 2, 2009, at 8:35 AM, v6spitfireguy at cox.net wrote:
> Well listers, we secured our hotel for Triumphest/VTR (better
> hurry,rooms
> are going fast), but are wondering about the rules for the VTR
> Concours. We
> haven't filled out the form yet because of a few items in question

Hi Barry,

It's probably best if I ask Darrell Floyd, VTR's Chief Judge, to give
you some specifics about your questions, but I can answer some of your
more general questions.

In general the judging for VTR concours "stock" is judged to a
showroom standard.  In other words, the judges are looking for cars
that appear as these cars would have on delivery.  Exceptions are made
for safety improvements.  There are several "modified" classes that
judge the vehicle on how well the modification was completed.  Darrell
can elaborate on each of these if you like.

The best source for information is the link under the "Features" tab
of www.vtr.org, then click "Competition Rules".  Everything is there
and your questions will likely be answered.  Documents include
"Concours Rules", "Concours Judging Guidelines", and there is also a
PDF of the "Concours Judging Form."  You do need to be a member of VTR
to access these documents.

As to your disappointment with the hotel requiring four nights, that
is for the block rate of $149 which is sold out.  You can register
OUTSIDE of the block at a Triple-A rate of $155 night for as many or
as few nights as you like.  I know because I just did... thanks for
the reminder to get that done!

As for your never having to reserve this early, I feel your pain.  But
on the other hand, when my club, the Detroit Triumph Sportscar Club,
hosted VTR's NATC (North American Triumph Challenge) last year, we
also had people registering early.  I will tell you though that many
people reserve "just in case" they will attend and then cancel a week
or two ahead of time when they decide for whatever reason they are not
going.  The bummer about that is that the room those people had
reserved, and then cancel, go into regular room inventory and ARE NOT
available at the block price.  Not a big deal this year since the
Triple-A rate and the block rate are only $6 apart, but a HUGE deal
last year when we had a block rate of $99 and the Triple-A rate was
$179 at the Marriott.  Those folks who cancelled last minute cost
other potential attendees some very inexpensive rooms.  Plus, it just
creates havoc in the host club's planning.

In any case, this year's gathering should be a blast, I'm looking
forward to the first ever combined Triumphest/NATC.  Feel free to
contact me either on list or off with additional questions or comments.

Cheers,
Blake J. Discher, President
VINTAGE TRIUMPH REGISTER
http://www.vtr.org