[TR] TR3 liners

Jim Bauder jimbpps at cox.net
Sat Jun 20 13:56:10 MDT 2009

Kevin,

I definitely would recommend removing the engine from the car!

The reason you can't get the liners out is rust and crud from close to 50 years
of DPO neglect. At least that was the case with my '58 TR3 that I restored,
there was so much crud behind the liner of cylinder #4 that it was all I could
do to drive the liner out when the engine was upside down on the floor! I had it
on the garage floor with some large blocks of wood to raise the block up for
clearance and used a 2 X 4 to drive them out, it was not easy. You will also
need to have the block 'hot-tanked' to get rid of all the deposits, and crud
that you won't be able to scrape out.

Trust me, you will get a better job on the rebuild with the block out of the
car!!

Regards and good luck,

Jim
Jim Bauder