[TR] TR3 Rear Shock Absorbers

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Fri Jun 19 16:20:10 MDT 2009

Oh.B  And the test is on the workbench, working the levers by hand to feel for
resistance.B  Nothing really complicated.

>I'm tempted to just refill the lever
>shocks with oil and see if that works well enough,
>but how do you test if these things are working
>without actually driving around on them?

Well, now you mention, the rear lever shocks are something I should have added
to the list of indestructable TR3 parts that didn't need rebuilding during my
restoration.B B In essence, I did just what you suggest, which is to drain all
the old oil, and refill with about a half pint of Harley Davidson Hydraulic
Fork Oil, Type B.

If I recall List advice at the time, there were suggestions that stiffness can
be added by doing something to a spring, but I don't remember very well and
this could be just my doddering brain. At any rate, I didn't do anything like
that, and the car handles bumps about as well as I would want from a hardcore
minimalist two-seater sportscar with power under the hood and nuts behind the
wheel.B