[TR] TR3 Rear Shock Absorbers

Todd Richmond twr at frii.com
Fri Jun 19 13:05:21 MDT 2009

Well, while the engine parts are all off getting
machined, I thought I would start looking at
something else to hold me over till the parts
come back.

To that end, my 15 year-old son and I (read the
blind leading the blind) started removing the
rusted rear shock absorbers from the frame this
morning.  After a lot of work and elbow grease,
and eventually having to cut through the mounting
bolts, we have the first one off.

So now, my question is, are there rebuild kits
for these things? (I haven't been able to find
any yet).  I've noticed that you can have them
rebuilt and send in the cores, but there doesn't
seem to be any rebuild kits that I can find.  Is
rebuilding them yourself not an option?

Also, what is the consensus on gas shock conversion
kits?  Are these worthwhile, or too much of a
headache?  I'm tempted to just refill the lever
shocks with oil and see if that works well enough,
but how do you test if these things are working
without actually driving around on them?

Thanks,

Todd Richmond
Fort Collins, Colorado
1959 TR3A TS54425L