[TR] TR4 Slave Cylinder Stay Rod

Jim Bauder jimbpps at cox.net
Wed Jun 17 11:01:15 MDT 2009

I had the misfortune to operate a TR3 Transmission without that stay rod for
some amount of time and finally the bell housing cracked for about 12 inches all
the way around the curve of the bell housing and ruining the transmission!

I believe that the use of this stay rod brace was eliminated on later
transmissions. If you measure the thickness of the bell housing flange that
bolts to the engine, it is about 3/8 of an inch thick on the early transmissions
but close to 1/2 inch or more on the later transmissions! Much stronger! I don't
know when this change occurred, but my guess is it changed when the gear box
went to a synchro 1st gear.

My TR250 does not have a stay rod however, I can't speak with any authority
about the TR4. But if you measure the thickness of that flange and it is ~1/2
inch you are pretty safe!

HTH and good luck,

Jim
Jim Bauder