[TR] tr6 refuses to start

thenicholls at verizon.net thenicholls at verizon.net
Tue Jun 16 14:57:26 MDT 2009

Article just release today from Moss in their newsletter:  http://www.mossmotors.com/SiteGraphics/Pages/Ethanol.html?utm_source=British174bs&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Emailer

I have been putting Stabil in my tank every winter, it appears I am going to need to use it in the summer as well, or some of the suggestive additives from Moss.

Hate additives.  Hope this helps.

Craig
Vienna, VA
1972 Triumph TR6

On Jun 16, 2009, Randall <tr3driver at ca.rr.com> wrote:

> don't know what happened but the car just won't start i checked for spark
> and it is alittle weak if i spray starter fluid in the carbs it turns over
> then dies out any suggestions the coil is new can it go bad how do i check
> it

If it's running on starter fluid, and then dies, the problem is almost
certainly that it's not getting fuel.  I'd start by pulling the fuel line at
the carbs to see if fuel is getting that far; if so then the problem is
likely stuck float valves or gunk in the jets.

Somehow the latest changes in fuel composition have made it much more likely
to clog things up.  I had exactly the same problem on the lawnmower, and had
to literally chip the hard, white deposits out of the jet.  Carb cleaner
wouldn't touch them.  I've heard similar stories from others.

-- Randall
http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs at autox.team.net