[TR] Yet another puzzling (GT6) cooling system question

v6spitfireguy at cox.net v6spitfireguy at cox.net
Thu Jun 11 16:59:36 MDT 2009

Just to get the brain going, I offer up the following...
In replacing all the coolant hoses on the GT6+ in preparation for
Triumphest this year, I have developed a question as to why the cooling
system was designed the way it was.
Not that I am going to change anything, just a lingering question  and no
real answer at least that I can see.
The system basically takes the radiator water from the lower radiator hose,
on the right side of the lower radiator tank into the pump, through the
block in a conventional manner, but this is where it is unique, and to me,
somewhat puzzling.  One really has to look at the system closely to see
what I am talking about here.
    In the stock system, AFTER the water leaves the thermostat and enters
the thermostat housing it has two choices, both of which go to the same
place, and therein lies the quandary as I see it.
    One choice for the water is to exit via the thermostat, then enter the
thermostat housing, exiting via the left larger opening, into the top
radiator hose, then into the upper tank on the almost left side of the
radiator (just off of center) .  Nothing special there.  The other path is
again, exit the thermostat into the thermostat housing, then off to the
right into a smaller, approx 3/4 inch hose, (which is also called a top
hose) which also enters the upper tank via the filler neck, just below the
radiator cap, about two inches to the right of where the top hose enters.
Essentially the same place as far as the system is concerned, the upper
tank that the upper hose exit into.
    Does anybody have a decent explanation as to why anybody would design
the system this way?  I can see no real reason for this bypass hose.  It
doesnt bypass anything.  It is basically a smaller upper radiator hose.
Both ends start and end at basically the same place in the system.  Any
good reasons that I am missing as to why it was done that way, other than
to add the cost of another hose???  Remember, look at an actual system to
see what I am talking about  Youll see that the upper hose, and the
bypass hose are just parallel hoses going to and from the same place!
Just an observation, obviously too much time on my hands and just wondering
what is going on here that I am missing!!
As a side note, the Vitesse, which uses the same engine, does NOT have this
smaller top hoseHummmm

Barry Schwartz
San Diego, CA