[TR] compression differance

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 10 18:00:02 MDT 2009

On Wednesday 10 June 2009 07:39:12 pm Gary Nafziger wrote:
> Just a question here for some thoughts from people with more experience.
> While in the shop getting tuned for the driving season after an overhaul my
> mechanic measured the compression on each cylinder (tr-6).  He found two
> cylinders with 20lbs differance from the others.  This is a newly
> overhauled engine which I assembled.......(which might be the problem? LOL)
> anyway.........i've only got around 300 miles on the engine.  Could it be
> that the engine needs more time and miles to get the pistons/ rings to
> seat?  Or is it valves?  or is it more? lol
>
> thanks in advance!
>
> gary n.
Gary,

Since I am a TR6 NEWBE (FNG for all you military types) I dont know if this
applies to the 6, but on the 3 and 4 engines the manual says to re-torque the
head after break in. Also re torque the rockers and then check the valves.
Maybe it is the same for the 6?

Just a guess but any knowledge you cull from this query will be used on my 6
engine rebuild which is currently in progress.

Bob