[TR] 1980 Spit: vacuum retard

Tim Gaines mtgaines at mail.presby.edu
Wed Jun 3 12:51:59 MDT 2009

My Spit distributor has the vacuum retard unit, and you are probably
right about too much bother to try fixing it.  The emissions stuff is
long gone, and it idles nicely already at a steady 850 rpm.  However,
when I got my 1974 TR6, also with the retard unit, I couldn't get a
nice, low, steady idle until I reconnected the unit.  It really makes
a difference on that car.  I was surprised because many on the list
advised leaving it disconnected.

The rest of the story is that I have 1980 Spit parts car, also with a
busted vacuum unit.  That car was a lucky find, built two weeks after
mine, cheap, and sitting just 50 miles away.  Anyway, I may try to
get into one of the units just to see what's what.

Tim
1980 Spitfire
1974 TR6