[TR] Tr4 - first drive - Webers

Lee&John Howard leejohn7 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 16:49:07 MDT 2009

Well...

My first drive in the new TR4 was exhilarating - the rebuilt engine with the
Webers sounds and behaves like an animal. In a good sense. Maybe a bit too
loud for my taste, but amazing pull in the higher revs. I had my wife follow
me on my this my first highway drive just to be sure. Surprisingly tight for
an over 200000 mile car, and there's no record of a suspension overhaul.
My own rebushing of the steering column makes a huge difference, and was
easy with the dash off. Brakes aren't right yet but they'll come.

About the Webers:

They sound very noisy at low revs compared to my old Strombergs. A metallic
tapping. Goes away as the revs increase. Is this kind of noise normal?

I don't have the chokes attached because the cable that came with doesn't
have a long enough inner wire to reach the front carb. Is a stock TR4 cable
long enough? if so, I presume the cable casing in attached to the rear carb
and the wire then engages both choke levers, so that the casing has to be
cut back?

Thanks for your help

John Howard