[TR] Help wiring an electric fan in a TR-4

Geo Hahn ahwahnee18 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 18:51:45 MDT 2009

On my TR4 I took power from the horn circuit.  My thinking was that it is
already fused and has stout wiring.  I can honk the horn while the fan is
running so hopefully I am not overloading the circuit (okay, I'm sure I'm
not because I did check the amps the fan draws).

I used a simple 'piggyback' female/male spade connector on the p/s horn to
send power to the fan.  I then ran the ground side back to a toggle switch
(my fan is manually controlled) since I retained the stock fan and only use
the electric in traffic, up mountains, etc.  That made it a simple one-wire
run back to the cockpit.. scarcely noticeable.

I personally prefer the manual set-up as I only use the fan on infrequent
occasions and can usually anticipate those situations and start it running
much sooner than a thermo switch would respond.

Your set-up will differ but perhaps this info will help.
Geo