[TR] Now I can have a beer!

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Sat Jul 25 15:53:42 MDT 2009

You know how they say that 90% of all carburettor problems (not
counting spelling it properly) are electrical?  This turned out to be
in the other 10%.  The clue of course was that the front three plugs
looked sooty while the back three were clean.  And of course the
sootiness could have been due to a rich mixture or to a simple lack
of good burning.

Careful inspection showed the culprit to be a rubber cap covering a
vacuum tap on the front carb, undoubtedly for a line that used to go
to the dizzy.  It had aged to the point of cracking open and broke
into two pieces when I touched it.  In addition, the forward-most
intake manifold nut was loose.  Don't know if it was enough to allow
air in, but what the heck, I tightened it anyway along with several
of the other manifold nuts that gave easily.  Then I spent 15 minutes
(or more) fine-tuning the carbs.

A short spin around the neighborhood showed that Spock is once again
firing on all thrusters.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

Air leak?  We don't need no stinkin' air leak.

Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com