[TR] ...and back to Walter Cronkite

TR4Zest at gmail.com TR4Zest at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 06:17:34 MDT 2009

I sent this to the list earlier. Servers refused to serve, or something, as
it didn't make it through...

I was browsing a blog of memories of Mr Cronkite, and came across this
recollection:

My one shared moment in time with Walter. It was 1962 - summer. I was
working as an apprentice at Bucks County Playhouse in New Hope, PA. It's
around 6 am Sunday morning after a long strike night. I'm walking through
the deserted streets of town - heading home to my little rooming house. Not
another soul in sight.

I hear a motor in the distance - the high-pitched whine of a very fast
engine. It gets louder. Suddenly, a red Triumph TR3 comes barreling down
the slight incline into town. It takes a quick left onto West Bridge Street
and slows down slightly as it approaches the bridge to Lambertville, New
Jersey. The top's down. It's Walter! Hair not yet white ... except around
the temples.

He gears down, the engine moans. He waves as he passes me ... then he guns
the engine and he's off.

Gee, I say to myself (even back then!) there goes a legend!