[TR] it has been a long week

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Thu Jul 23 20:20:15 MDT 2009

Way too long, and no real progress.

Last time I test-drove the GT6 it still wasn't happy.  I drove for
just two blocks and it became obvious that Spock isn't firing on all
thrusters.  So far I've replaced plugs, dizzy cap and rotor,
condensor, plug and coil wires.  And the coil (Lucas Sport, DIR105, I
think it said) measured about 1 Ohm between + and - terminals.  I
read 0 Ohms between the points-mounting plate and ground, as
expected.  When I pulled the plugs the front three were sooty, the
back three relatively clean.  That suggests a bad front carb, though
poor firing would make them black anyway.  They are SUs, no diaphrams
to break, and the plungers move easily.  The needle looks good, the
jet moves properly with the choke cable and returns as it should.
The float level is good and the needle valve isn't stuck.  Maybe one
of the throttle positioning clamps on the shaft slipped so the carbs
aren't synched very well, but they aren't moveable by hand and look
about right.  In any case, a quick check with a synchro tool will
show a problem with that.  I may swap the coil for the one in the
Spitfire, or just spring the $30 for a new one, but it doesn't seem a
likely problem.  Beyond that, I'm stumped.

Which is another way of saying I'm stumped.

I haven't had time to check performance since putting in the new
plugs.  It's been a long week.  When the dust clears I'll check it
out again.  Maybe the plugs will make it all better.  But I doubt it.

Which is another way of saying I'm stumped.

Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com