[TR] TR6 distributor physical fit (pi vs carb)

Steve Smith dogzbody1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 23 11:39:02 MDT 2009

Hi all

I have an early US spec TR6 (CC) with carbs.  I was in recent years based in the UK and collected a few TR bits including a rebuilt TR6 PI distributor - off a 1973 car.  The distrbutor body looks exactly the same as my carb dixxy but I cannot get the PI dizzy to fit.  The central shaft on the PI dizzy seems ever so slightly longer but not enough to preveent the two tabs on the bottom from engaging.  The rebuild was carried out by a reputable firm (H&H Ignition) so I'm sure all the right parts were used.

I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if the two parts are not interchangeable.  I can push with more confidence if you guys tell me the parts are physically the same the but I need to know that before I go to town as it were.

I am at the same time installing a Revotec fan kit made especially for the TR6, it is a superb custom fit, I'll report on that as soon as I'm done with the install.  It will be nice to contribute to the list for once!

thanks and best wishes
Steve