[TR] Damn! TR6 Windshield Bracket Bolts

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Mon Jul 20 11:30:16 MDT 2009

In a message dated 7/20/2009 9:40:33 AM Central Daylight Time,
wsb1960tr3a at att.net writes:
>      Judging by the lack of response (none), I think that I am in real
> trouble
> on this. Surely someone else has had this! How did you do it?
>      My backup plan is that maybe I can cut off the bolt head and then
> drill
> out the bolt shank, which will destroy the caged nut and then put in a
> longer
> bolt with a regular nut on the end of it.
>      Does anyone else have a better idea? This SOB bolt has me talking in
> my
> sleep.

Bill, I recall that you were going to remove the heater and clamp onto the
nut with Vice Grips or something.  I can't come up with anything better.
I've done that with fender bolts on my TR3 with pretty good results.

As for drilling it out, how are you going to do that if it is spinning?  I
guess you could clamp onto it with vice grips but then you may as well try
to back it out.  Soak it really thoroughly with Kroil or PB Blaster and wire
brush the end of the bolt as best you can to improve the odds of getting it
out.

Dave