[TR] Damn! TR6 Windshield Bracket Bolts

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Sat Jul 18 14:55:26 MDT 2009

     I am removing my windshield frame on my 74 TR6 for painting. I got the
center windshield support bracket bolt loosened and then it spun in the caged
nut. This is the caged nut that is located above the heater and behind the
fresh air vent. I don't see any good way to get to it. I plan to remove the
heater and try to grab it (the nut cage) with vice grips. The bolt was
previously soaked with Kroil to loosen it up, but I guess it had been getting
moisture from the fresh air vent and really rusted up. After getting the nut
loose, I plan to try to hold the nut back in with epoxy so it won't spin in
the already damaged nut cage and then re-assemble it with a new bolt and
 anti-seize.      Other ideas include hack sawing the head of the bolt off
which will allow me to get the windshield frame off, and then drilling the
bolt shank out, epoxying in the nut in the cage and re-threading the caged
nut.
     Has anyone else ran across this and how did you get out of it?     Man,
this all looked straight forward when I started.      TIA,
     Bill in Tehachapi