[TR] Troubleshooting Help

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Thu Jul 16 18:33:25 MDT 2009

Hello, everyone.

Drove my TR3A homebound tonight, cruising smooth at all speeds, when I ran
into a torrential downpour by the.B  Had to pull to a stop alongside the road
in front of the County Jail and look like I belonged.

Lost all ignition.B  It did start up again, ran so rough I was barely able to
coax it into moving.B  Then it nearly gave up the ghost in Franklin, about 8
miles from home.B  It'll start, but will backfire and won't achieve revs
before stalling again.

I did already dry out the distributor cap and guts.B  Am running a
Pertrinox.B  My coil is the original one to the car, though, and ISTR that if
a coil gets wet, it can show its age or fail?B  About the coil, the coil wire
into the coil is bare wire.B  I had tried soldering it a couple of times to a
copper washer to set inside the coil, but the solder never lasts.B  Still,
it's ran fine that way until, like I said, until the rainstorm was so thick I
couldn't see the road for about five minutes.B  BTW, I took out the coil wire,
dried everything inside the coil receptacle too.

So...what's more likely to give even after drying out...the Pertrinox or the
coil?B

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A

New Hampshire