[TR] and a bad coil?

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Thu Jul 16 16:46:47 MDT 2009

On 16 Jul 2009 at 14:53, Randall wrote:

> Usually much smaller than that, around 1.5 ohms.

Thanks for the quick reply, Randall.

For what it's worth, in a spare minute I just checked over the wiring
to the coil.  The positive lead was breaking through, hanging on by
only a few strands.  If it had broken the engine would've just
stopped, of course, but if it offered so much resistance that the
coil couldn't charge fast enough, that would produce ignition failure
at higher rev's.  Also the breaking of most of the strands would've
induced the sudden performance problem I saw.

So I put on a new terminal with some strain relief and fired it up.
It seems to rev more readily, doesn't miss at higher rev's.  That's
all with no load, of course, but I'll take it out after dinner...

Thanks all.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com