[TR] TR3 temperature sensor

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jul 10 10:48:44 MDT 2009

> on my 1958 TR3A the temperature meter fall down and now it is no working.
> Do you think that it is about the sensor or the line ? is there an
> alternative solution to repair or to change ?

If this is the original temperature gauge, the sensor and line are not
separate items, and cannot be removed or replaced separately.  They are
filled with ether that will evaporate and disappear through the smallest
leak.  No doubt that is what has happened to your gauge.  There are various
services available that have the tools and equipment to repair your gauge
(for a price); or there are instructions on the Internet for how to try to
graft a tube and sensor from a replacement gauge onto your original gauge
while keeping the sensor cold so the ether does not evaporate during the
operation.

However, the opening in the dash and the fitting in the thermostat housing
are fairly standard dimensions, so if you do not care about originality, it
is easy to find an aftermarket gauge that will fit and work.  I have one of
these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270405679997
(which I found at my local auto parts store).

Another alternative is to fit the electrical gauge from an early TR4, which
looks very similar.  Of course you'll need to add the wiring for it, which
should include a "voltage stabilizer".

Randall