[TR] and speaking of engine performance

TR4Zest at gmail.com TR4Zest at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 02:30:13 MDT 2009

On Jul 6, 2009 11:12pm, Jim Muller <jimmuller at rcn.com> wrote:
> The other day I got around to measuring the GT6's compression again,
> <snip>
> Drove it to work today but it still didn't like rev'ing above
> 3500rpm, would start missing about 3000. Ordered up a new tune-up
> set, dizzy cap, rotor, points, condensor today.
> In the meantime I'm open to suggestions.

> Jim Muller

My thoughts, Jim:

Order a second set and keep one on hand as ready spares. Maybe get a coil
too? Certainly new plugs from your FLAPS.
While you wait for the parts to come, check your carbs are operating at
expected.
- How do the plugs look? Dusty grey / sooty / oily black each lead you in
different directions.
- Is the choke coming fully off?
- Is the throttle operating fully on both carbs when the loud pedal is
depressed?
- Fuel levels OK?
- Air valve not sticking?
Check the fuel supply: pump working? Filter not blocked?

Once your new points are in, take care in setting your gap and then do your
timing carefully. Too much advance may be why you are 'missing' above 3k.

Good luck,

Brian