[TR] TR3 New Rear Main Seal Leaking

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jul 4 11:46:02 MDT 2009

> Is there a break-in period that I should be aware of?  I intend to change
> the break-in oil at 200 miles, will this make a difference?

I don't believe so, on either count.

>   Can I pull the pan to inspect the seal without pulling the engine/trans
> to do it?

Not easy, but I have done it.  Last time around, I made up a sort of puller
from a chunk of bar stock and some bolts & threaded rod, to pull the cap out
partway, and then used some long bolts screwed into it as handles, to wiggle
it out past the flywheel.

Apparently some kits came with the wrong instructions for what diameter to
grind the crank to; if it's ground too small then you will have to pull the
engine to replace the crankshaft.  My kit came with the instructions marked
up by hand to read 2.520".

There are more tips (though perhaps some of them no longer apply to
currently available kits?) at
http://www.socaltriumphs.org/docs/mainseal.htm

Randall

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pdf which had a name of TR2-4 high tech rear seal instructions.pdf]