[TR] TR3 New Rear Main Seal Leaking

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sat Jul 4 06:21:08 MDT 2009

On Saturday 04 July 2009 01:59:24 am bill_beecher at flash.net wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> Well I have now put 100 miles on the new engine, it runs great, but I think
> I am actually leaking more oil than before the rebuild.  I know, they are
> supposed to leak some, it a British right of passage, but I went so far as
> to grind the crank to the fit the $150. 'new-and-improved' seal from Moss
> that is supposed to resolved much of this problem.  After parking the car
> from  a 30min drive I see a 5" dia puddle under the engine at the rear.
>
> Is there a break-in period that I should be aware of?  I intend to change
> the break-in oil at 200 miles, will this make a difference?  Can I pull the
> pan to inspect the seal without pulling the engine/trans to do it?  If so,
> what should I be looking for?
>
> Thanks to all in advance...
>
> Bill Beecher
> '58 TR-3A TS/30766 L (On the road in 2009!)
> "A Triumph is man's best friend, it always comes when it is called...of
> course, some times it is difficult to make it go"
Bill,

As part of my engine rebuild last year I had Triumph Rescue install the new
and improved rear main seal.

After installing the engine, I noticed a very large oil leak at the rear.

I called Matt and he said he would need to inspect the engine while in the car
so he trailered the car from central NY to his shop.

After some test driving and test runs he decided to pull the engine and
inspect the seal because he said the oil leak was much more than expected.

What he found was a seal that was "too" tight. The seal was actually twisted.

This was the Moss seal so he called TRF and installed their seal which is in
the car now. I only get a drop no and again which is less than with the old
mechanical seal.

I would call Matt at Triumph Rescue to see if he has any suggestions. He came
through for me and he has a lot of experience with that type of seal.

Bob