[TR] It might be possible, but....

John Herrera jrherrera90 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 30 08:22:05 MST 2009

> > There is simply no reason in the world to even attempt to get that bugger>
out > > Except that's 3 major assemblies plus something like two dozen more
bolts> and a dozen more electrical connections than I removed. Not to mention
the> very real possibility of having one of the caged nuts spin in it's cage.
Or> one of the tabs on the fender beads scratch the paint.> > Randall

Ed answered all your questions better than I can, and with more calm than I
did last night after my Gin & Tonic Therapy Session.

Years ago when I removed the front apron from The Blue TR3, a couple caged
nuts escaped captivity and I ground the bolt heads away with a Dremel tool.
Even so, that was easier than what Ed went through trying to remove the
steering unit with the front apron in place. And then, if I had known of your
method back then and was successful, the nuts would still be spinning, so I
would still have that problem.

The racecar's front apron nuts remained in captivity both times that I removed
the apron.

The wing beading tabs didn't scratch the paint in either case.  Not that I
would have cared too much about that anyways.

My point is that it is easier to remove the front apron than to wrestle that
unit out with it still in place.

John H.