[TR] control head redesign?

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Jan 30 06:46:16 MST 2009

In a message dated 1/29/2009 8:21:17 PM Central Standard Time,
mlang99 at comcast.net writes:
> The whole control head concept hasn't come to an end yet. My brother
> currently has the cruise control assembly apart in his Jeep Cherokee.
> The push buttons are all mounted on the horn ring in the center of the
> steering wheel along with the air bag. The whole thing has a "clock
> spring" assembly to keep the wires from twisting up when the wheel is
> turned. It sounds like a pain to put back together properly. They must
> still be testing on the general public!

Both Ford and GM use the watchspring.  I think it has something to do with
the lack of confidence in a slip ring's reliability and an air bag.

Reminds me of many years ago my MG's horn wouldn't work.  I traced it to a
bad ground through the steering column.  I connected a wire to the column,
wrapped it around the column a few times and attached it to ground.  It lasted long
enough to pass inspection.  (Some months later I was servicing the steering
column for some reason or other and I shot some penetrating oil into the
steering shaft U-joints and my horn started working again.)  It's nice to see one of
my ideas come to fruition.

Dave