[TR] emission standards?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jan 29 12:07:33 MST 2009

> If I make up my own diverter valve or injector tube have
> I now "messed" with the system and violated some other law?

The law does allow for replacement parts that are "the same in design and
function".  That presumably includes one-off parts, and/or parts adapted
from other cars, as long as they do the same thing in the same way as the
original parts.

And while I don't mean to sound critical (I am guilty myself), arguing that
it's OK to remove smog equipment because you can't find replacements is a
lot like a thief arguing that it's OK to steal because he doesn't have
enough money.

> I think the reality is that no one (the Feds) probably ever thought that
> this many 30+ year old cars built by a company long out of business would
> still be around and in as good condition as many of them are.

Well, I think the reality is that they would prefer that such cars be forced
off the road, regardless of condition.  It has only been through fairly
continuous efforts by old car nuts of all stripes that we don't have laws
like they do in Japan, where perfectly good late model cars are scrapped
because it's less painful than jumping through the hoops to keep them on the
road.

Randall