[TR] control head redesign?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jan 28 22:18:08 MST 2009

> I have decided to attempt a crude redesign after ruining one
> or two control head trifficators.  Has anyone had success
> with a similar attempt?

Not me.  In fact I started taking photos with an eye towards writing a tech
article; as I disassembled my original control head for the Nth time.  (When
your car stays outdoors as much as mine does, the workings get dirty and
have to be cleaned occasionally for continued operation.)  However I got
interrupted and haven't gone back to it yet.  Decided the original harness
was too far gone to repair one more time, so I ordered a new one from TRF.
With any luck, it should be here by next week and I'll resume documenting
the assembly process.

> Let me know if
> you know that these greased pawls work differently than by
> mere gravity (as I assume they do).

Nope, don't rely on gravity.  Gravity isn't as reliable as you'd think, in a
car that gets driven hard.

It's the spring-loaded roller that pushes either one of the pawls down, when
it's in the turn position.  The same channel that the pawl runs in forms a
detent to hold the roller in the turn position.  Then when the pawl is
pushed back up by the canceling ring, it lifts the roller out of the end of
the channel, and in turn the roller moves under the influence of the long
spring on the curved rod, back to center.

It would still work if the head were installed upside down.

Randall