[TR] Standard Triumph on YouTube

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 28 17:09:45 MST 2009

Maybe this has already been covered in earlier posts to the lists and I missed them over the years
I've been subscribing. But following a casual wander around YouTube, I've found some archive footage
of the factory in Coventry if anyone's interested?
The first film at www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN4qwW5ceGU shows the assembly line at Canley when the
Standard 8 saloon (aka Triumph 10) was being made. This was made a good five years before the new
Assembly Hall was commissioned in 1959 to build the Herald as its first customer. Although the film
doesn't show it, the sidescreen TR assembly line was opposite the one for the 8. Sorry, TR owners
but you won't see any as this is obviously a PR production for the 8. However you will see someone
that many knew in recent years as a Triumph World columnist and that's Robin Penrice. Robin is the
younger of the two boys in school uniform with his brother Peter and their Mum, Gwen Penrice.
Robin's Dad, Ivor Penrice was Publicity Manager at Standard and this is obviously why his house and
family took part. Low budget, see? The shoot was outside their home near Coventry, as are the shots
of the car being driven along a very well-known road between Coventry and Kenilworth. I can't
currently identify the driver, though his face is familiar.
While I doubt anyone on these lists will have any interest in Ferguson tractors (I wish I still had
mine to play with) the next film at www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCEgSB8qjRs&NR=1 shows Standard-Triumphs
other Coventry factory at Banner Lane on the western outskirts of the city. Built in two years just
before WW2 to make aircraft engines this later became Massey Ferguson's European tractor plant. It
has entirely vanished and is now a housing estate!
Enjoy!

Jonmac