[TR] emission standards?

Joe Curry spitlist at cox.net
Wed Jan 28 13:18:46 MST 2009

I am thinking that anyone who fears that our cars will be legislated out of
existence is being overly paranoid.  If there were no emissions standards in
existence when the cars were built, the politicians cannot come up with new
emissions standards for them.  It is an example of an "ex post facto" law
which in our country is illegal.

However, if your car is new enough and there were emissions laws in
existence when it was built, states can and might start applying those
standards in existence at the time the car was sold.

I am no lawyer but I certainly don't think that most of us have anything to
worry about.

Joe C.